Friday, April 9, 2010

Identify

I am from Lite Brite and Etch-a-Sketch,
Tinker Toys and Legos,
Fashion Plates and Barbie.
I am from four-eyes and brace face,
bad haircuts and big eyeglasses.

I scribbled and drew,
danced and made music.
Single child,
nurtured by parents and educators,
I dreamed big dreams about what I would be.

State Fairs and band camps,
ball games and concerts;
bleachers and classrooms,
football fields and stages -
these are the places that shaped who I am.

Perfectionist and pouty,
moody and meticulous -
some things never change.

Hard-working and driven,
addicted to knowledge -
some things never change.

I am a product of myself.



Today's poem is based on a prompt shared with me by my dear friend Meg. It is a response to a wonderful poem by George Ella Lyon called "Where I'm From."  Thanks for sharing that with me, Meg!



Day 9

5 comments:

KaHolly said...

I can sense a lot of thought went into this verse. As I read it, I envisioned your photo and the last few years of reading your blog, and it so fits you. Well done! ~karen

Heather said...

Karen - Thank you. For some reason I decided to focus on my k-12 school years. Even though that feels sooo long ago, they really were very formative years of my life.

James said...

I love this exercise. The last line is really a nice way to end.

I did it a few years back (here's the link if you're interested.)

Meg said...

Ha! You did a great job! I just love what that prompt brings out of people. It helped round out what I know of you...though I know there is plenty more ; )

Heather said...

James - I see this is a rather popular exercise. I read your version, which is really very nice. The result gives a good idea of where the writer really comes from, how they became who they are. I see from your link that an actual template has been put out there for this, which I might follow at some point, but I'm kind of glad that I went my own way with this one. Thanks for sharing your story.

Meg - I'm soooo glad you shared this with me. It was good fun and a great trip down memory lane. I think all writers should do this exercise every year (maybe on their birthday?!) and see how the resulting work changes over time. Food for thought...