Thursday, April 8, 2010

Artisanal Obsession

Blue Beauty
Goddess of my kitchen counter
I bow down to thee.

Your juxtapositions -
delicate yet powerful,
industrial yet beautiful -
have nestled their way into my heart.
You add depth and complexity to my life,
to my heart, to my baking.
You are a 5-quart, 10-speed powerhouse.
You complete me.

You effortlessly turn butter and sugar into a
pillow of fine yellow velvet.

You blend yeast and flour, oil and water
into a heady ball of fermented goodness.

Oh and the things you can do with eggs...
make them into a frothy, foamy lather,
or luxurious golden ribbons,
even fluffy, billowy clouds.
Finally you whirl into a frenzy,
whipping my meringues higher and higher.

It never felt so good to have so much fun in the kitchen.



Today's NaPoWriMo prompt is "unusual love connections". The prompt offers the following: "Today, think of your current love, your current obsession or the one who got away. Now come up with five or more unusual metaphors for the object of your affection/obsession: wool scarf, cough drop, puddle, half-empty bottle of red wine… Choose your favorite of the bunch and write a poem celebrating (or trashing) your love." I mostly followed this. I'm sure most folks wrote about a person, but after perusing a few of my favorite cooking blogs today, I decided that I wanted to do a poem related to food, and I figured my Artisan series Kitchen-Aid stand mixer was an item worthy of my loving praises, and thus this poem was born.



Day 8

6 comments:

Greg O'Connell Poet in Schools said...

"Goddess of my kitchen counter / I bow down to thee": such culinary devotion! well cooked up. =)

Robin said...

Fun! I especially enjoyed the egg stanza, which has wonderful images!

James said...

There is nothing quite like breaking out the stand mixer to make a person feel like a chef.

Heather said...

Greg - Ha ha! Thanks for the clever feedback.

Robin - It was fun to write. Glad you liked it.

James - Yes, indeed.

KaHolly said...

I enjoyed this one, as well. All so cleverly put! ~karen

Heather said...

Karen - Thank you. It's good to know so many folks enjoyed this one.