Tuesday, April 27, 2010

acrostic haibun

Tonight's offering is a bit of a hodge-podge.  The prompt for today was to write an acrostic poem, which means that the first letter of each line spells something when you read those letters vertically.  The twist, however, was to make the foundation of the acrostic personal, be it by using your name, the month of your birthday, your favorite color, or what have you.  I chose to use "Heather of the Hills" as the base for my acrostic poem.  That's the name of my nature blog, which is my "original" blog, and has come to be a part of my identity since I started it almost 3 years ago.

Hoping for inspiration
Every day.
Attuned to cues and clues,
Taking what is given to me.
Hearing my inner voice
Echoing in my inner mind,
Reaching for something more.

Open heart,
Full of dreams.

Turning toward new ideas,
Heralding fresh starts -
Each day an opportunity awaits.

Holding out my hand,
Imagining what could be.
Learning, laughing, loving,
Longing for me to be.
Something's coming.


I also wrote a haiku today, each line of which starts with words from an inspirational phrase that I came across on the internet this morning, just before reading today's prompt.  From the phrase "thoughts become things":

thoughts like a light bulb
become real and tangible
things of true power

: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :

Both poems share a similar theme.  It didn't take long for me to figure out that I could actually turn the whole thing into a haibun, which I learned about thanks to my blogging friend James over at Coyote Mercury.  By its most broad definition, haibun is a combination of prose and haiku.  So, my original works convert to this:

Hoping for inspiration every day.  Attuned to cues and clues, taking what is given to me.  Hearing my inner voice echoing in my inner mind, reaching for something more.  Open heart, full of dreams.  Turning toward new ideas, heralding fresh starts - each day an opportunity awaits.  Holding out my hand, imagining what could be.  Learning, laughing, loving, longing for me to be.  Something's coming.

thoughts like a light bulb
become real and tangible
things of true power


As we near the end of NaPoWriMo, I should be wearing out, but the poems of the last two days came rather quickly.  It's been a fun ride, and I'll be sad to see this writing month come to an end.




Day 27

3 comments:

one more believer said...

glad to have stopped by... enjoyed your post and blog immensely.. love the thoughts conveyed in poetic revelation... i too am glad and yet sad the challenge is coming to an end... stretches the poet within to otherwise experiences might not have encountered... release engage

James said...

Hey, I really like how this evolved into a really nice haibun. Well done.

(thanks for the link too)

Heather said...

one more - Thank you for your visit and your comments. The "stretching" part of NaPoWriMo has been really good for me.

James - And thank you for introducing me to the form!