Wednesday, April 21, 2010

feline love

Sleek, slinky, sneaky.
Cute, cautious, quirky.
Stalker in the field,
stalker in my kitchen,
get that mouse - pounce!

Sunbeam napper,
sneak-attacker.
Box lover,
sometimes-cuddler.

Queen of indifference,
except when you give nose kisses.
Then you're a sweet girl
who rocks my world.

Stand up for treats,
you're light on your feet.
Tiny paw pads
knead on my heart.

I miss you, sweet girl.



This is inspired by the NaPoWriMo prompt for day 18, "meow!" where the assignment was to write a poem "featuring the cat family." Being an allergy sufferer, having cats is not a very sensible thing for me to do, but my husband and I had cats for about 4 years anyway, because I had wanted a cat since I was in college. I love them so, and was sad to give up our last cat a few years ago. This poem needs a LOT of work, but it was what I came up with quickly. I have much love and respect for felines, and I know this poem could be so much better.

I'm not officially numbering it since I already did my main piece for the day, but I'm still counting it toward my overall total of writings for the month.



2 comments:

James said...

This is really fun to read. Great sounds in those words.

Heather said...

James - Thank you. As I'm sure you can tell by now, I'm a big fan of creating a cadence in my writing.